Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Compost Tea

While we were in Baltimore sweating to death, it was apparently cold and cloudy here all the time. Clear proof of this was in our garden - specifically our tomatoes - which were looking pretty lame when we got back.

I bought new seedlings at the farmer's market, figuring it couldn't do any harm, and with a lot of love, maybe we'd get a crop before fall.

But I knew I needed to fertilize the heck out of them, and since we try to go organic around here, I researched and made some compost tea to use. The method is hilarious - stuff a pair of old pantyhose with compost (the really earthy stuff that has broken down, not a bunch of watermelon rinds and eggshells), float it in a few gallons of water in the sun, and voila!




Don't worry, it's not gross or anything - just smells earthy and is like steroids for plants. Danny loved giving the plants the tea...



especially the lemons, which were "thirsty."

No comments: